Peanut Butter Honeycomb

Preparation info

  • Difficulty

    Medium

  • Yield:

    250 Pieces

Appears in

Chocolates and Confections

By Peter Greweling

Published 2007

  • About

Ingredients

Filling

Peanut butter 240 g 9 oz 11%
Glucose syrup 60 g 2 oz 3%

Hard Candy Base

Sugar 1180 g 42 oz 56%
Water 240 g 8 oz 11%
Glucose syrup 300 g 11 oz 14%
Molasses 80 g 3 oz 4%
Salt 1 tsp 1 tsp <1%
Baking soda, sifted 10 g tsp 1%
Batch Size 2110 g 75.5 oz 100%
Desiccated coconut, for finishing as needed

Method

To Make the Filling

  1. In a saucepan, heat the peanut butter to 100°C/212°F. Remove from the heat and stir in the glucose syrup. Keep the mixture warm.

To Make the Hard Candy Base

  1. Combine the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the glucose syrup and cook to 130°C/266°F.
  2. Add the molasses and salt and cook to 155°C/311°F.
  3. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda.
  4. Pour onto an oiled marble slab and turn occasionally until cooled to a plastic consistency. Pull until well aerated.
  5. Divide the pulled sugar into two portions: one 60 percent of the batch, the other 40 percent. Keep each portion warm under a warmer or in a low oven.
  6. Stretch the larger piece of sugar into a rectangle approximately 18 × 25 cm/7 × 10 in. Place the peanut butter filling in the center and roll the sugar over the filling to make a cylinder. Seal the ends to encase the filling.
  7. Stretch the filled cylinder to 61 cm/24 in, then fold it back in half. Repeat this eight times. Return to a cylindrical shape. Fold again if necessary to make a stubby log approximately 18 cm/7 in long.
  8. Stretch the smaller piece of sugar into a ribbon 10 cm/4 in wide. Pull to 61 cm/24 in long. Cut and attach the two halves side by side. Repeat a total of four times to make a thin, even layer that is approximately 23 × 30 cm/9 × 12 in. This is the jacket for the candy.
  9. Wrap the jacket around the filled cylinder.
  10. Cut off the ends of the cylinder, which contain no filling. Discard them or rework them into the next batch.
  11. Pull into a rope 6 mm/¼ in in diameter and cut into 5-cm/2-in segments. Drop segments into desiccated coconut immediately.
  12. Bag or wrap immediately to protect from humidity.