Smoked Pork Rib Broth

Preparation info

  • Difficulty


Appears in


By Peter Gilmore

Published 2014

  • About


  • 100 g ( oz) maple wood chips
  • 2.5 kg (5 lb 8 oz) pork ribs, cut into pieces
  • 2 ham hocks, split in half
  • 250 g (9 oz) unsalted butter
  • 6 chicken marylands
  • brown onions, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 250 ml (9 fl oz) brown rice vinegar
  • 10 litres (350 fl oz) cold water


  • 15 g (½ oz) dried jamon, sliced
  • 50 g ( oz) dried chestnut mushrooms
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1 inner white celery stalk
  • ½ onion
  • ½ carrot
  • 8 eggwhites


Set up a cold smoking apparatus with the maple wood chips. Cold smoke the pork ribs and ham hocks for 2 hours.

Melt the butter in a large stockpot and roast the pork ribs, ham hock, chicken marylands, brown onions and carrots until golden brown. Deglaze with the brown rice vinegar and reduce until most of the vinegar has evaporated. Add the water and simmer on low for 5 hours, skimming occasionally. After 5 hours, strain the stock and discard the solids.

Reduce the stock on a rapid simmer over medium–high heat for about 50 minutes or until you have 5 litres (175 fl oz) remaining.

Allow the stock to cool completely then remove any solidified fat from the surface. Make the raft by putting all of the ingredients except the eggwhites in a food processor. Process until well combined. In a separate bowl lightly whisk the eggwhites until soft peaks form and then mix them through the processed raft mixture until well incorporated. Put the cold stock on medium heat and immediately whisk in the raft. Continue whisking for 1–2 minutes and allow the stock to come to simmering point. Make sure the raft is not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Whisk one more time and then do not whisk again. Allow the stock and raft to very gently simmer for approximately 1 hour. The raft should be floating on top of the stock. Break a small hole in the raft and check that the stock beneath appears very clear. Remove the stockpot from the heat and allow it to sit for a further hour. Carefully ladle the stock from beneath the raft and pass it through a sieve lined with muslin (cheesecloth) to obtain a crystal-clear broth.