This popular spice blend called bharat is used in many Turkish dishes. See the stuffed zucchini.
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 12 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon dried rose blossoms
Whirl all the spices in a grinder to a powder. Pass through a fine sieve and store in a closed jar in a cool cupboard.
The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen by Paula Wolfert. Copyright © 2003 by Paula Wolfert. Photographs copyright © by Christopher Hirsheimer.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.