Drouhin, Joseph, one of the most respected grower-merchants in Burgundy. Founded in 1880, the firm is based above historic cellars in the city of Beaune, dating from the 13th century. Joseph’s son Maurice, who took over control of the firm in 1918, built up its reputation for quality and acquired a number of important vineyard holdings, starting with the Clos des Mouches (see beaune). After the Second World War, exports of Joseph Drouhin wines increased considerably.
Robert Drouhin took over control of the house in 1957 and made many significant vineyard acquisitions, particularly on the côte de nuits, including Musigny, Griotte-Chambertin, Bonnes Mares, and Grands Échezeaux. In 1968, an outpost in chablis was established so that, of all Beaune merchants, Drouhin is the best placed in this northerly region with holdings in several grands crus and premiers crus. In 2014 the firm’s (all organically cultivated) holdings totalled 78 ha/193 acres. The firm has also made and sold Marquis de Laguiche montrachet since 1947.