There are five steps common to the preparation of pâtés, terrines, ballottines, and galantines:
- Boning (désossage): Completely trimming the meat of all bones.
- Marinating (marinade): Soaking the meat to be used for the forcemeat in alcohol and then seasoning it.
- Designing (façonnage): The shaping and molding of the filling, along with its placement in a lined mold.
- Cooking (cuisson): Baking in a bain-marie until the interior reaches a designated temperature on an instant-read thermometer.
- Preservation (conservation): Covering the filling with a layer of pork lard or gelatin.