- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 2 egg yolks
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons imported mustard, such as Dijon or Düsseldorf
- 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups peanut, vegetable, or olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
- Put the cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle with salt to taste. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the yolks in a mixing bowl and add salt and pepper to taste, mustard, and vinegar or lemon juice. Beat vigorously for a second or two with a wire whisk or electric beater.
- Start adding the oil gradually, beating continuously with the whisk or electric beater. Continue beating and adding oil until all of it is used.
- Drain the cucumbers. Add the cucumbers and dill to the mayonnaise and blend well.