Total Time from Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces boiled ham, sliced ⅛-inch thick and cut into ¼-inch wide strips
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, brushed and ½-inch diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces fettuccine, dry weight
- 6 ounces green spinach fettuccine, dry weight
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- Fill a pot for the pasta with about 6 quarts of water, cover, and place over high heat.
- Put the butter in a 12-inch skillet and place over medium low heat. Add the onions and Sauté until they turn a rich golden color, about 5 minutes. Add the ham and continue cooking, stirring, until it is lightly colored.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper (go light with the salt if the ham is salty) and cook, stirring occasionally until all the water the mushrooms have released has evaporated, about 10 minutes, then cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until the mushrooms begin to brown lightly. Add the cream and cook until it has reduced by a third. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons salt to the boiling pasta water, add both fettuccine, and stir until all the strands are submerged. Cook until al dente. When the pasta is done, drain well, and toss with the sauce and the grated Parmigiano. Serve at once.
© 1993 Giuliano Hazan. All rights reserved.