Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15–20 minutes
What you’ll Need
- 1 cup quinoa (or millet or oats)
- ½ cup water
- 1 × 400 ml can coconut milk (or almond or cow’s milk)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced lengthways
- Divide the following between the porridge bowls:
- ½ cup coconut shavings
- ¼ cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup natural yoghurt or coconut cream
- ¼ cup mixed seeds (I like sunflower, flax and pumpkin)
- maple syrup (or coconut sugar, xylitol or alternative healthy natural sweetener)
- fresh pomegranate rubies or berries, for garnishing (if available)
What to do
- Cook the quinoa with the water, milk and spices in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes with the lid askew, or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa grains are cooked through and creamy. Add a little hot water as it cooks if you find that it becomes too thick, although you are looking for a creamy, porridgy consistency.
- Lightly toast the coconut shavings and chopped nuts in a dry pan over medium heat.
- When the quinoa is cooked, layer the breakfast puddings in small glass jars or bowls, dividing and layering the remaining ingredients between them.
© 2017 All rights reserved. Published by Struik.