Appears in

Oxford Companion to Wine

Oxford Companion to Wine

By Jancis Robinson

Published 2006

  • About

Beaune, vinous capital of burgundy giving its name to the Côte de Beaune section of the côte d’or vineyards. Beaune was founded as a Roman camp by Julius Caesar, became the seat of the dukes of Burgundy until the 13th century, and, although losing political supremacy to Dijon thereafter, has always been the centre of the Burgundian wine industry. In the 18th century, the first merchant houses such as Champy (1720) and Bouchard (1731) were established and Beaune remains home to such leading négociants as Louis jadot, Joseph drouhin, Louis latour, and bouchard père et fils.