Klosterneuburg

Appears in

Oxford Companion to Wine

Oxford Companion to Wine

By Jancis Robinson

Published 2006

  • About

Klosterneuburg, small city on the right bank of the Danube west of Vienna in austria whose Augustinian monastery (Stift) has been a major vineyard owner since the Middle Ages. Since 1860 it has housed Austria’s centre for viticultural and oenological research (see academe), also giving its name to Austria’s standard measurement of must weight, commonly referred to by its abbreviation kmw. While the vineyard holdings of Stift Klosterneuburg include substantial tracts in the nearby growing regions of wien, thermenregion, and carnuntum, its home vineyards immediately upstream from Vienna have the official status of a grosslage within niederösterreich.