For 4 portions
- 4 × 100 g Calves sweetbreads from the pancreas
- 1 Small leek, washed and sliced
- 1 Carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Large stick celery, sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Large sprig parsley
- 100 ml Dry white wine
- 1 ltr Cold water
- Pinch sea salt
- 10 White peppercorns, crushed
Place the sweetbreads into a stainless steel bowl and run cold water over them until there is no trace of blood and the water runs clear.
Prepare a court bouillon by placing the remaining ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the sweetbreads and blanche for 5 minutes in the simmering court bouillon. Remove the sweetbreads from the court bouillon – they will have firmed slightly but should remain soft in the centre – cover with a damp cloth and refrigerate until cold. Peel off the thin membrane layer and any fat or gristle that is attached. Now the sweetbreads are ready to be pan-fried.
© 2005 Liam Tomlin. All rights reserved.