- Combine the water and starch in a saucepan, mix thoroughly, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- While maintaining the liquid at a simmer, mix together the sugar and glucose syrup and add to the simmering liquid, along with the vanilla bean and its seeds.
- Continue cooking over moderate heat, stirring, until the batch reaches 106°C/223°F, or 78° Brix.
- Remove from the heat and remove the vanilla bean. Stir in the rose water, citric acid, and pink coloring. Add the pistachios.
- Pour into a frame 12 × 12 × ¾ in set on an oiled plastic sheet. Spread the hot mixture evenly in the frame.
- Place a second oiled plastic sheet onto the top of the jelly and allow to set, undisturbed, overnight.
- Remove the plastic sheets from the jelly and dust generously with the sifted confectioners’ sugar–cornstarch mixture.
- Cut into 25-mm/1-in squares using a sharp, oiled chef’s knife. Roll the individual pieces in the confectioners’ sugar–cornstarch mixture.
Cardamom Cashew Turkish Delight
Add 2 tsp ground cardamom along with the sugar. Omit the rose water and coloring. Replace the pistachios with toasted cashews.
Saffron Turkish Delight with Pistachios
Add ¾ tsp saffron threads to the batch along with the sugar. Omit the rose water and coloring.