Squash, Feta & Sage Pull-Apart Bread


Preparation info

  • Difficulty


  • Serves about


    , depending

Appears in


  • 1 cup (250 ml) lukewarm water
  • 2 teaspoons honey (or sugar)
  • teaspoons (1 envelope) instant yeast
  • 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons (400 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus a little extra
  • About 14 ounces (400 g) butternut squash (about ½ squash), peeled and cubed
  • A splash of olive oil for greasing
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ounces (100 g) feta cheese, cut into ⅜-inch (1-cm) cubes
  • 12 fresh sage leaves, 4 leaves finely chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten


In a pitcher, combine the lukewarm water with the honey and yeast. Let stand for 7 minutes, or until it begins to foam and all the yeast has dissolved.

Mix the flour and 1 teaspoon salt in a wide bowl and form an indentation in the middle. Pour the yeast mixture into the indentation. Stir until the dough starts to hold together and continue kneading for at least 10 minutes on a floured countertop until you have a soft and supple dough that is no longer sticky and bounces back when you poke it. Place the ball in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for 1 hour in a warm and draft-free spot so the dough can rise and double in size.

Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).

Spread the squash cubes out on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika, and roast for 30 minutes, or until they are just tender and the edges begin to brown. Let cool.

After the dough has risen, knead it again briefly. Grease a rectangular 9 by 5-inch (23 by 12-cm) loaf pan with oil.

Roll the dough out into a 6 by 10-inch (15 by 25-cm) rectangle. Sprinkle with the squash cubes, feta, and chopped sage, leaving the edges clear. Roll up the dough from a short side into a thick log. Cut the log into twelve equal slices and quickly roll those into balls. Arrange six of them in the bottom of the loaf pan and place a sage leaf on each ball. Then place more dough balls on top of each, seams alternating, until the pan is filled. Stick the rest of the sage leaves in between the balls. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise again, this time for only 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) again. Brush the dough with the egg and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool on a rack for 5 minutes, remove from the pan, and allow to cool completely.

Serve with soup or a big salad.