- 4 lbs. apples, any type
- 3 medium yellow or white onions
- 2½ cups vinegar
- 1½ cups juice (orange, apple, cider, or a combination)
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups dried currants or raisins
- Peel, core, and dice the apples. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Add the vinegar, juice, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and cayenne pepper. Mix well and cook, uncovered, at a simmer or until thick.
- Add the brown sugar. Wash and squeeze dry the currants or raisins and add. Cook everything until desired thickness and seal in sterile jars.