Before beginning production, review the discussion of pastry cream.
- In a heavy saucepan or kettle, dissolve the sugar in the milk and bring just to a boil.
- With a whip, beat the egg yolks and whole eggs in a stainless-steel bowl.
- Sift the starch and sugar into the eggs. Beat with the whip until perfectly smooth.
- Temper the egg mixture by slowly beating in the hot milk in a thin stream.
- Return the mixture to the heat and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the butter and vanilla. Mix until the butter is melted and completely blended in.
- Pour into baked, cooled pie shells. Cool, then keep chilled. Chilled pies may be decorated with whipped cream, using a pastry bag with a star tube.