Everybody loves roast potatoes, yet people ask me over and over again for the secret of golden crispy roast potatoes.
- First and foremost buy good quality ‘old’ potatoes. New potatoes are not suitable for roasting.
- Peel them just before roasting.
- Do not leave them soaking in water or they will be soggy inside because of the water they absorb. This always applies, no matter how you cook potatoes. Unfortunately, many people have got into the habit of peeling and soaking potatoes even if they are just going to mash them.
- Dry potatoes carefully, otherwise they will stick to the tin, and when you turn them over you will lose the crispy bit underneath.
- If you have a fan oven it is necessary to blanch and refresh the potatoes first, then proceed as below.
- Heat the olive oil or fat in the roasting pan and toss the potatoes in it to make sure they are well coated.
- Roast in a hot oven, basting occasionally, for 30–60 minutes depending on size.
- For perfection, potatoes should be similar in size and shape.