- Trim the stems from the eggplants. Cut them in half lengthwise.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Also preheat the oven broiler.
- Deep-fry the eggplants until well done. Transfer to paper towels to cool slightly.
- Score the cut surfaces in a diamond pattern and spread an even, thin layer of miso on them; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place the eggplants under the broiler and broil them until their surfaces are golden and slightly crisp. Serve warm. The eggplants are eaten by scooping out the inside with a spoon.
The recipe can be tweaked to give it a Western twist as follows: Instead of sourcing the umami from miso, spread the eggplants with anchovy paste, possibly with a little finely chopped garlic mixed into it. Sprinkle yeast flakes and panko bread crumbs on top and broil until the crust is golden.