Cheval Blanc, Château

Appears in

Oxford Companion to Wine

Oxford Companion to Wine

By Jancis Robinson

Published 2006

  • About

Cheval Blanc, Château, very fine bordeaux property in st-émilion. In 1832, Henriette Ducasse married Libourne négociant Jean Laussac-Fourcaud, bringing with her 12 ha/30 acres of land including part of the narrow gravel ridge that runs through Figeac and neighbouring vineyards and reaches petrus just over the border in pomerol. This became Ch Cheval Blanc, which, in the International London and Paris Exhibitions in 1862 and 1867, won the medals still prominent on its labels. In 1892, Albert reversed the order of his double surname, and it remained in the Fourcaud-Laussac family until 1998 when it was sold to Bernard Arnault, chairman of lvmh, and Belgian businessman Albert Frère. Pierre, one of the lurtons, has been general manager since 1991.