In the heart of the small Pomerol plateau, Petrus was partly bought in 1925, by Mme Loubat, wife of the owner of the Hotel Loubat in Libourne. By 1949, it consisted of 6.5 ha planted with 70% merlot vines and 30% cabernet franc. In 1969, 5 ha were purchased from the adjoining Ch Gazin. Although it won a gold medal at the 1878 Paris International Exhibition, and the London-based wine society listed the 1893, Petrus received little international attention until the remarkable, tiny crop of 1945, and the much more widely distributed 1947. Its exceptional concentration of colour, bouquet, and richness of flavour derives from a pocket of clay in the middle of the vineyard and the subsoil which affords exceptionally good drainage. Average production is 30,000 bottles.