Clos de Vougeot

Appears in

Oxford Companion to Wine

Oxford Companion to Wine

By Jancis Robinson

Published 2006

  • About

Clos de Vougeot, also frequently known as Clos Vougeot, famous walled vineyard in burgundy created originally by the monks (see monks and monasteries) of Cîteaux. Between the 12th and early 14th centuries the Cistercians purchased or received as donations the land, much of which needed clearing and planting, which subsequently became known as the Clos de Vougeot. By 1336, the 50-ha/120-acre plot was complete and enclosed by stone walls on all sides.

The Cistercians maintained ownership until the French Revolution, when all clerical estates were dispossessed, although Dom Goblet, the monk responsible for the vineyards and the wine, had a sufficiently fine reputation to retain his job in the short term. In due course, Clos de Vougeot was sold on to Julien-Jules Ouvrard in 1818, the year before he bought romanée-Conti, and remained in single ownership until 1889. Since then ownership has fragmented so that today there are over 80 proprietors.