Potentially Deadly Poisonous Species

Appears in

By Roger Phillips

Published 2006

  • About
When eating wild mushrooms it is wise to keep back a specimen of the collection you are cooking. If you think you have eaten a dangerous mushroom, or if you get strong symptoms, go immediately to a hospital, taking with you some of the mushroom if possible. Avoid these species, listed in order of diminishing danger.

Deathcap Amanita phalloides, is the most common of the deadly poisonous types. The symptoms occur some time after eating, from about eight hours to two days, and after the first onset of illness there may be a period when the patient feels better. Do not be fooled by this. Destroying Angel Amanita virosa and Panthercap Amanita pantherina are also deadly poisonous and produce similar symptoms.