Lettuce, of the cabbage or cos variety, prepared correctly and dressed with a French dressing or Vinaigrette sauce, provides the finest of all salads.
To prepare lettuce:
- Cut off the stump of the lettuce and discard the coarse outer leaves only.
- Separate all the leaves and wash them leaf by leaf under running water if possible, otherwise in several waters in a basin.
- Put into a salad shaker or a clean tea-towel and swing them to shake out the water.
- Leave to drain.
- If possible put into a covered box or into a casserole with a lid in the refrigerator for at least ½ hr. before dressing them for table.
- The salads in which lettuce is used as a foundation are so numerous that it is unnecessary to name them all here.