- Soften gelatin in ¼ c. milk.
- Scald remaining milk. Add the combined sugar, cornstarch and salt; continue heating rapidly until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Stir about ½ c. of the hot mixture into egg yolks; pour back into saucepan; simmer 5 minutes more.
- Stir in gelatin mixture; add butter and vanilla. Pour into three 8" pie pans; freeze. (Frozen filling will be right diameter to fit 9" shell.)
- Remove from pan, wrap in moistureproof freezer material; return to freezer.
Place unthawed filling in baked 9" pastry shell. You may cover it with a fruit or coconut layer (see variations), then top with meringue, making sure it touches crust all around. Bake in moderate oven (375°F.) about 10 to 12 minutes. (For best results, avoid heating the filling completely through.) Cool.