- Combine sugar, 1½ c. water and salt in saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Mix cornstarch and ⅓ c. water to make smooth paste; add to boiling mixture gradually, stirring constantly; cook until thick and clear. Remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks and lemon juice; stir into thickened mixture. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles again. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Cover and cool until lukewarm.
- For meringue, add salt to egg whites; beat until frothy. Gradually add ½ c. sugar, beating until glossy peaks are formed. Stir 2 rounded tblsp. of meringue into lukewarm filling.
- Pour filling into cool pie shell. Pile remaining meringue on top and spread lightly over filling, spreading evenly to edge of crust.
- Bake in slow oven (325°F.) about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on rack at least 1 hour before cutting.
Good Idea: Store extra grated lemon and orange peel in a tightly covered small jar, placed in refrigerator. It stays fresh a long time and saves getting out the grater when you need a small amount of peel.