- Patna rice 4 oz.
- water 2 quarts
- salt 2 teaspoonfuls
- cooked finnan-haddock, or other cooked fish, or cold boiled ham 4 oz.
- hard-boiled eggs 1 or 2
- butter 2 oz.
- chopped watercress 2 teaspoonfuls, pepper, salt
- a little tomato sauce or ketchup (1 dessertspoonful more or less according to taste).
- Boil the rice as you would for curry in boiling salted water.
- Remove all skin and bone from the fish and chop it finely.
- Chop up the white of the hard-boiled egg.
- Put the butter into a stewpan; when it is melted toss the rice in it with pepper and salt.
- Add the fish or meat and chopped white of egg.
- Stir a dessertspoonful of tomato ketchup or sauce into it.
- Toss all together over the fire till piping hot.
- Then stir in the chopped watercress,
- And serve quickly on a dish also piping hot, scattering the chopped or grated hard-boiled yolk of egg over the top.
Time: to cook about 30 minutes.